Date Night Look: African Print Circle Skirt

2:10 PM

So in the many sewing groups that I find myself in, there is always that one person that posts their work and says "My outfit for church, made it this morning" or This just took me an hour".  This kinda leaves me wondering why it takes me longer than and hour. What techniques are they using? How did they do that?

Anyways, I can officially say I have graduated  and made my skirt in about 2 hours. Yes two whole hours. Now the circle skirt is supposed to be one of those easy skirts to make but the thing that will get you is the waist measurement. I am telling you this because I have made a few circle skirts that were either too big or too small on my waist and I gave up. This is what  I am talking about on the waist measurements.

Wiki how explains it like this: Work out your waist radius. (I can already tell that radius will throw people off. ) You'll need a little math here (Math?? We all know people hate math right?), but you can use a calculator!

  • Measure around your waist or hips (the point where the skirt will eventually sit when sewn together).
  • Divide this number by 3.14 (pi).
  • Divide the resulting number by 2. This is the waist radius
See what I mean? Let me make your life easy. I was going through circle skirt tutorials and came across one on YouTube by Rachael Dixon, and she happened to find an app that helps you do all the calculations. Here is the app By Hand London.  All you have to do is put in all the measurements you want and voila it calculates everything for you. Genius!!!

Ok so once you have all you need, get sewing. I know I did and yes  it took me 2 hours. And later on I rocked my African print skirt for date night for a friends birthday. I loved it!!

Finally, If you still need help on how to make circle skirts, please google circle skirt tutorials, there are plenty to choose from.

Happy Sewing!!!






You Might Also Like

9 comments

Popular Posts